Thursday, August 9, 2007

Guard Cat

Last night I was invited to dinner at some friends house, now, these friends just happen to live right behind me so it is nothing to just run over and spend some time. My cat, Elliott, a beautiful black, grey and white striped tabby, follows me where ever I go and last night was no exception. He followed me all the way over to my friends and sat out side on the patio until I was ready to come home and then followed me back home again. He is so funny he even follows me to the street when I take out the garbage or pick up the mail. If I am outside doing gardening he will lay beside me in the grass and move to where ever I happen to move next. I love this cat!!

I don't love that he seems to be a very good hunter by the evidence he leaves on my back deck for me to find--birds beware -- so far the squirrels have outsmarted him! But, cats will be cats! I have had Elliott for about seven years now, my daugther, Erica, found him in our front yard in the pouring rain just a speck of a kitten. When I got home from work she showed him to me and he captured my heart right away, of course, it helped a lot that he immediately curled up under my chin and lay there purring his little heart out--who can resist that! Erica was a more than a little miffed that Elliott took to me rather than her since she was the one that rescued him!

We also have another cat whose name is Hermoine (yes, after Hermoine in Harry Potter)who is a pretty little calico / tabby mix. Hermoine is more independent and tolerates the household -- she will occassionaly allow us to sit and pet her but when she is ready to vacate the area there is no stopping her. She and Elliott get along famously and usually where you find one you will find the other, which means usually curled up in chair together! She is definitely the princess of the house!

Erica, the daughter that still lives at home (but is hardly ever there), called me yesterday just so totally miffed. She is a nanny for a family of five children and one dog. Well, she was sitting outside with the children when she had to go inside to let the father of one of the extra children she had that day in to collect his child. While she was distracted taking care of the leaving process the puppy got a hold of her cell phone, which she had left on the table outside, and chewed the heck out of it -- she'd only had the phone for a couple of months and it was quite costly. Needless to say that puppy is on her list!

No comments: